Custom machining capabilities include special grinds, special straightness, plating and more. Simply send your drawing(s), specifications, and the quantity needed. Custom shafting is made with precision machining operations. Shafts made with 60 Plus® or 50 Plus® 440C precision linear shafting as the base material. Experienced machinists using specialized machinery enable economical custom shafting with fast deliveries.
- • Threading: Standard threads: UNC or UNF Class 2-A. In the threaded area, the shaft will be annealed and soft.
- • Diameter Reduction: Normal tolerance: ±0.005". Concentricity: ±0.002" Max. T.I.R. Shafts turned down require annealing.
- • Coaxial Holes in End of Shaft: Standard threads: UNC or UNF Class 2-B. Concentricity: 0.002". Thread depth standard: Double the diameter of the screw. Annealing may be required on shafts where the tap size is within close proximity to the case.
- • Radial Holes To Center of Shaft: Standard threads: UNC or UNF Class 2-B. Shaft diameter: ½" to 3". Location tolerances: ±0.015" standard, ±0.010" or ±0.005" custom.
- • Radial Holes Drilled and/or Tapped Through Shaft: Shaft diameter: ½" to 3". Location tolerance: ±0.010". In most cases, annealing is not necessary for holes drilled through and/or counter-bored.
- • Shafts Joined for Longer Lengths: Shaft diameter: 5/8" to 3". Concentricity: 0.002". Ends: Machined square without chamfer. Shafts can be butt or dowel jointed for longer lengths.
- • Retaining Ring Groove: Location tolerance: ±0.062" standard, ±0.005" custom. It is standard practice to anneal the shaft to soften the area of the groove. If this is not desired, please contact Lee Linear for alternate methods.
- • Keyways: Standard shapes: square or american standard woodruff. Annealing is performed to soften the circumference area around the keyway.
- • Flats: Location tolerance: ±.015". Multiple flats are acceptable. Please contact the factory with other requests.
- • Gun/Deep Hole Drilling: This drilling technique should be used only in applications where concentricity is not critical. The maximum size of a hole produced by this method is limited by the depth of the case hardening.
Contact customer service.
Lee Linear has specialized in custom machined shafting for over 40 years. Get your quote in as little as one hour, and your order can ship in 24 hours! Click here to get a quote or call to talk with an experienced customer service representative.
Configure your shaft!
Lee Linear’s shaft configuration tool allows you to customize and configure shafting to exact specifications, resulting in a downloadable CAD file and/or an option to purchase
Shaft Configurator Tutorial Video
Watch the video to learn how to use the shafting configuration tool.